Burnley Central Station, originally called Burnley Bank Top, sits on high ground close to the town centre. The town dates back to Anglo Saxon times when the town was established on the banks of the River Brun. The river gave the town its name derived from Brun Lea ‘the field near the Brun’. The town was granted its market charter in 1400 and at this time had a population of around 600.
With the coming of the Industrial Revolution the population exploded with townsfolk finding employment in cotton mills, coal mines and foundries. By 1886 Burnley was the cotton weaving capital of the world producing more cotton cloth per year than any other town in the world. The Leeds Liverpool canal runs through the town on an impressive mile long embankment, well worth a visit.
The railway station was opened by the East Lancashire Railway Company in 1848. A short branch line ran from the station to Bank Hall colliery and the branch has now been revitalised as a cycleway and pleasant walk.