Kirkham & Wesham station serves the two towns but is closer to Wesham, properly called Medlar-with-Wesham. The station, opened in 1840, was originally located to the west of Station Road and named Kirkham Station. In 1890, it was rebuilt on the east side of the road and renamed Kirkham and Wesham. Historically the “Wrangway Brook”, beside which the railway was laid, has always been the boundary between Kirkham and Wesham.
There are two platforms, and fairly obvious signs of the former size of the station by way of disused sidings areas and blocked-off arches. The station ticket office is at street level with a wide staircase leading down to the platforms. Originally a cast iron and glass roof covered the platforms similar to Poulton-le-Fylde station. This was removed in the 1960s.