Accrington Station is situated close to the town centre which sits in a valley surrounded by the hills and moorlands of Lancashire. The most prominent landmarks in the town are the town hall and the large twenty two arched curved viaduct which carries the railway high above the town.
Built in 1867 to replace an earlier structure the stone structure cost £11,215 to construct. Accrington was once a junction station with a direct line to Manchester via Clifton Junction (now closed) joining the East Lancashire Line at the station.
A brand new Eco station has been built at Accrington on the site of the old Eagle Street car park. The station has been built using green technologies such as grey water collection, solar power & photovoltaic cells. The building itself has been constructed using recycled stone, reclaimed aggregates, crushed glass, recycled plastics and other sustainable materials.