Blackpool South station is the terminus of the South Fylde line. The station opened on 30th May 1903 as Waterloo Road station and was renamed as Blackpool South on 17th March 1932.
Originally the station was a junction with the express Marton Line that came into the resort directly from Kirkham. There were four platforms and the line continued north to Blackpool Central station. There were extensive sidings to accommodate the many excursion trains which came every summer to Blackpool.
In 1964 this part of the line closed and the station became a terminus and the Marton Line closed to regular traffic in 1965; its track bed is now Yeadon Way and the M55 motorway. The station is a short walk from the promenade and Golden Mile and is also close to Bloomfield Road, home of Blackpool Football Club.