Burnley Manchester Road railway station sits on high ground looking over the town centre. The line was built by the Manchester and Leeds Railway Company and opened on 12th November 1849. The first station was called Thorney Bank but this was replaced by Burnley Manchester Road station in 1866.
The station was closed by British Railways on 6th November 1961 but was rebuilt and reopened during 1986, two years after the successful reintroduction of services between Leeds and Blackpool.
A new station has been built at Manchester Road part funded by the Interreg IVB project, along with Burnley Borough Council and Lancashire County Council. The building includes a booking office and this opened on 17th November 2014.