Burscough Junction

Burscough Junction station is situated on the edge of the town which is also served by Burscough Bridge Station. Built in 1849 for the Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway Company the line opened to passengers on the 2nd April 1849.

Burscough town sits midway between Liverpool and Preston surrounded by good agricultural land. The draining of Martin Mere many years ago created acres of good farming land which in turn provided work  for the local population and was influential in the growth of the town. The arrival of the Leeds Liverpool canal in the late 18th century saw the town again develop rapidly and the canal carried all manner of goods including imported grain to the expanding Ainscough’s flour mill situated close to the station. The coming of the railway in 1849 only added to the town’s growth as industry was drawn to the area around the station where two main railway lines converged.

By 1914 over 100 trains per day called at Burscough Junction station. During World War 2 a large ordnance depot was built adjacent to the station. The town centre is about fifteen minutes walk from the station and has a good selection of shops.