The original Lytham station was opened on 16th February 1846 along with the branch line from Kirkham and was the terminus. The station was about 500 yards from the current station, which opened on 6th April 1863 also as a terminus. The station was rebuilt and opened as a through station on 1st July 1874. The station ceased to be manned after the cut-backs of the 1960s and the station building became derelict. In 1986 it was restored and transformed into a public house, the Station Tavern.
Lytham was founded in about 600 AD. For many centuries the economy of Lytham was dependent on fishing and shrimping, until the advent of tourism and seaside health cures. The town is now a fashionable seaside resort and offers a more genteel alternative to nearby brash Blackpool. Notable Lytham landmarks include the Green, a strip of grass running between the shore and the main road; the recently restored Windmill and Old Lifeboat House Museum are to be found here. The Green overlooks the estuary of the River Ribble and the Welsh mountains.