Built for the Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway Company the station is situated close to the busy town centre. The town is thought to have been founded by a viking called Orme around 840 AD. Whilst the town is surrounded by fertile fields, many growing the famous Ormskirk potatoes, other more unusual trades could be found.
In the early 18th century Ormskirk was home to several famous clock makers such as Webster and the Parkin brothers who were makers of the distinctive Lancashire lantern clock which were different to any other clocks in England at the time. At the highest point of the town sits the beautiful church of St Peter and Paul. The church, rich in architectural heritage, is one of only three churches in the country to have both a tower and steeple.
Ormskirk also has one of the oldest and most traditional street markets its Royal Charter granted in 1286 by Edward the first. The market trades on Thursdays and Saturdays and consists of over 100 stalls.