Rishton Station like many small stations is situated on the very edge of the township it serves and is three and three quarter miles from Blackburn. The old manor of Rishton was owned by the Petre estate and in 1835 was listed as being part of the township of Blackburn.
By the 1870s industries such as coal mining, cotton, brick making and quarrying were established in the local area. Rishton was the first place where Calico was woven on an industrial scale.
The name Rishton means village amid rushes. The Leeds Liverpool canal opened in 1810 and passes through the centre of the town. The well known Riston Cricket club stands close to the station and The East Lancs Sailing Club has used Rishton Resorvoir since the start of the 20th century. The well established Golf Club is close to the station and there are good established walks into the surrounding countryside including the Leeds Liverpool canal towpath.